Giving is a crucial part of living in obedience to God for several reasons:
1. Giving is an active demonstration of faith. Sometimes, when finances are tight, giving isn’t always easy to do. But by doing so, we tell God that we trust Him to provide all of our needs no matter the circumstances.
2. Giving is an expression of gratitude to God for all He has done for us. It is one of the best ways we can say “Thank you” to the Lord for His abundant goodness in our lives.
3. Giving on a consistent basis displays faithfulness and integrity. Through our tithes and offerings, we prove to be faithful stewards of all God has entrusted us with.
The Logic of Giving Online
• Consistency. Often, when we are away from home, we tend to neglect our tithe. Giving online allows us to give even when we are far from home.
• Faithfulness. Selecting the automated giving option prevents our temptation to only give from what’s “left over.” We should give our tithes before all other obligations.
• Convenience. As long as we have Internet access, we can give at anytime, anywhere.
• Helping the church. Online giving helps us to simplify our accounting and expedite your gift, making us better stewards of our resources.
Biblical References to Giving
• 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "… whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." This verse teaches us that it is not only what we give, but the acceptable attitude with which we should give.
• Malachi 3:10: "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need." This verse comes with a promise: Consistently give your tithe and the Lord will reward your faithfulness whether financially or spiritually.
• 2 Corinthians 8:7: "But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also." This verse on giving teaches us that giving is both an act of grace as well as endeavor worth excelling in.